The FFELP was established in 1965 as part of the Higher Education Act. Private lenders made federal loans that were insured and subsidised by the federal government through the FFELP.

Commercially owned FFELP loans and Education Department-owned FFELP loans are the two primary types of FFELP loans.


Undergraduate students, graduate students, and parents received FFELP loans in the following formats:

• Stafford:

Stafford loans were available to undergraduate and graduate students who were enrolled at least half-time at the time of application. Subsidized loans may be available to students in financial need.

• Unsubsidized Stafford Loans:

Undergraduate and graduate borrowers were not eligible for an interest discount with unsubsidized Stafford loans.

• PLUS loans:

PLUS loans were for parent borrowers who were taking out loans to help their children pay for their undergraduate education. Graduate students were added to the FFELP PLUS loan option in 2006.

FFELP consolidation loans permitted applicants to consolidate numerous federal student debts into a single loan.

When the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act was approved in 2010, the loan programme came to an end.

How can I know whether I have a Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP) student loan?

If you applied for federal financial aid before 2010, the loans you received were most likely FFELP loans. Because they postponed payments or took advantage of longer repayment programmes, many people who borrowed before 2010 still owe money.

You may look up your loan information on the National Student Loan Data System to be sure what debts you have. You may see all of your outstanding federal loans by logging in with your Federal Student Aid ID.

You can also call your student loan servicer to inquire about your loans if you don't have your Federal Student Aid ID.

Modern Office Building